Apple roses – decorative and quick dessert
Apple roses on vanilla creme with berries
This is by far one of the most decorative desserts that is done very quickly. It looks fantastic and tastes heavenly. The ingredients are simple and they are very easy to make: puff pastry, apples and vanilla creme. You can also buy everything ready in almost every supermarket. Within 15 minutes of preparation and 15 minutes of baking time you serve a beautiful and tasty dessert that you can decorate with a variety of cremes, berries and toppings. But they are also nice for a quick and easy snack. We serve them in an alpine version, like all other winter desserts in the region, on a hot vanilla sauce bed, with powder sugar and some berries as decoration.
Puff pastry desserts and dishes are mostly very simple
With puff pastry dough, there is a number of dishes and desserts that are easy to make. Simply be creative with the ingredients and taste variations. They are fantastic in crispyness and soft bite at the same time. The butter in the puff pastry rounds and enrichenes almost any other ingredient in flavour. Puff pastry bakery can be combined with sweet, sour and salty ingredients and baked in many different compact or more complex forms. We prefer to make small muffins with several layers of dough as quick desserts an muffin forms.
Recipe for 4 persons
- 2 apples
- 1 package of puff pastry
- apple or apricot jam
- optional vanilla creme or pudding
- optional berries
- optional powder sugar for decoration
- lemon to prevent oxidation
- Wash and peel the apples, take out the seeds
- Cut the apples in halves and slice a quarter side with a cucumber slicer, so that you get half-moon shaped apple slices and put them into a pot with a low very amount of boiling water for 1-2 minutes to make them soft. Otherwise they would break when you start rolling the roses. Add some lemon juice.
- Unfold and cut the puff pastry dough in about 6 stripes. The shorter side of the stripes should be around double the measurement of the height of your muffin form (you have to fold the dough once).
- Put around 150 ml of the jam in a pot, add cinnamon and optionally sugar, depending on the desired sweetness level and heat it up for 2-3 minutes while stirring in the cinnamon and sugar mix. Then let the apples and jam cool down a bit.
- Put a bit of the jam alongside in the middle of your stripes and put the apple slices in a row at the edge of the long side of the stripes on one long side of the dough, make them overlap a bit.
- now fold the stripes alongside over the other side with the apple slices to fix the apple slices.
- Start rolling the dough from one side to a rose form, while holding the apple slices in position with the other hand.
- Places the raw apple roses in a fatted muffin form and put into the oven for about 15-20 minutes at 180 degrees until the dough expands and gets a golden surface.
- Take out the apple rose muffins and put them on a plate with vanilla creme, pudding or without anything and decorate with berries and powder sugar.
This simple recipe is easy to make
Also kids love to make these easy and tasty desserts, it is a creative taks for them, but quick and with an impressively beautiful result. You can vary with different cremes or pussing, other fruits or plain. We went for the alpine version with hot vanilla sauce, like most desserts here are served in the winter time, for example Apfelstrudel or Germknödel. Enjoy your apple rose muffins with friends and family!