Bayrische Rippchen – oven-made Bavarian Spare Ribs
An alpine version of Spare Ribs – a very old recipe
Since the alpine kitchen really uses every part of meat – from head to tail – there is of course also an alpine version of spare ribs. It is not marinated in a regular bbq smokey sauce, but more of a simple approach of a one pot dish. It is grilled in an oven form together with potatoes and cabbage. It is first braised under a lid and only grilled hot in the second part. This makes the meat very tender and it takes on the flavour of the caraway and cabbage well.
One pot meal, easy to prepare
And because everything is prepared in one pot, the recipe is very easy to cook. All it needs is a little time and a look in the oven every now and then to see if there is still enough liquid in the casserole dish. Due to the relatively long cooking time, however, the whole dish takes on an extraordinarily delicious flavour and is an alpine soul food. And it is also served straight from the oven as a whole in the dish. Perfect for a Sunday dinner.
Recipe for four persons
- 1,4 kg spare sibs
- 1 cabbage
- 700 gr potatoes
- 2 onions
- 1 spoon Caraway seed
- 300 ml optional dark beer no wheat beer!
- Paprika powder best smoked paprika
- Mustard and Honey
- Mix a bit vegetable oil with a spoon of mustard, a spoon of honey and the paprika powdersalt&pepper and rub the ribs with it.
- Cut the cabbage in bigger pieces, around mouth size, peel and cut the potatoes in quarters, cut the onions in bigger pieces and places everything in an oven casserole form. Fill up with water until everything is half covered.
- Put the ribs on top in the form and pour the caraway seed over everything. Now cover the casserole with a lid or with aluminum foil.
- Place the casserole in the oven and adjust the heat to 130 degrees for about 90 minutes. Check every 20-30 minutes and add water or beer when the liquid is too low.
- For the last 20-30 minutes, increase the temperature to 220 degrees and take off the lid or aluminum foil.
- Serve the complete casserole hot.
Tips for juicy and tender ribs
For a truly tender meat experience, buy meat with a high fat content and thick cuts. The thinner the meat, the drier it can become in the oven. It is also advisable to check the oven every 20-30 minutes to see if there is still enough liquid in the oven dish. If you don’t have a lid to the oven dish, you can also cover it with a layer of aluminium foil and press it down around the edges. In addition, the grilling process at high temperature should not take too long. Make sure that the meat does not get too dark or burnt. The dish would only become dry and bitter. If the meat or other ingredients get too dark during the grilling process, you can baste them with cold water so that they do not burn.
Enjoy your Sunday one pot soul food with friends and family. A dry white wine or a beer are the perfect accompaniment to this meal.
Bavarian spare ribs recipe
Bavarian spare ribs recept
Baijerin ribsit resepti
Bayrische Spare Ribs Rezept