Pappardelle with french duck breast on truffled black salsify
Pappardelle is one of the best Pasta sorts to mix with duck breast. Black salsify and truffle butter sauce adds a very creamy and tasty flavour to it. Black salisfy is also called the “asparagus of the winter” due to its unique and exquisite aroma and fine structure. It combines perfectly with truffled butter and carries the taste of the mushroom gently. The butter and an egg yolk guarantee the truffle aroma to be at its best. Pappardelle are relatively wide and the sauce can stick to them easily. The duck breast on top fits absolutely as a soft and tasty meat component.
Our pasta recipes
Our Pappardelle dough recipe can be handy when making this dish, you can find them here: Pappardelle recipe.
You will also find some other dough variants, including a gluten free one. We would suggest an egg yolk variant, since egg is one of the basic carriers for the truffle aromas.
Recipe for two persons
Pappardelle with duck on black salsify with truffles
- 1 https://www.alpenedelweiss.com/produkt/black-summer-truffle-in-saltlake-25g-trifule
- 250 gr fresh Pappardelle see our recipe
- 1 one duck breast with skin
- 300 grams black salsify
- 100 gr butter
- 2 spoons truffle butter
- 2 shallots
- 400 ml milk
- 2 spoons flour
- 1 truffle slices
- 1 Honey Thyme and balsamic vinegar
- Start by cutting the skin of the duck breast to marinade it. Put a spoon of honey, half a spoon of thyme and half a spoon of balsamic vinegar in oven mold, add 150 ml of water or light broth and cover the dock breast fully and place it in there. Place the oven mold with the duck breast and the marinade into the oven at 80 degrees for about 1 hour.
- Peel the black salsify and cut it into 4-5 cm pieces. Use gloves, because it releases a sticky liquid that gets black with oxygen contact. Cook the black salsify in a pot with water and 3-4 spoons of vinegar for about 20 minutes. The vinegar will prevent the blackening of the salsify.
- Cut the shallots into small pieces and heat it in a pan with the butter for about 10 minutes on very low temperature. Add two spoons of flour to the butter and mix it. Add the milk now and cook the sauce for about 7-8 minutes so that the flour thickens. Add two spoons of truffle butter, salt and pepper.
- Take the duck breast out of the oven, place in a pan and roast it crispy on the skin side for a few minutes. Do not overfry the skin! Turn it on the other side then for a few minutes and take it out of the pan, when the inner meat reached a pink colour. Now cut the duck breast into 5-6 millimeter slices.
- Cook the Pappardelle in parallel for about 4 minutes (fresh ones) or the suggested cooking time for al dente according to the package instructions.
- Place the Pappardelle on a plate, add the black salsify truffle sauce and place a few duck slices on top. Slice some fresh or preserved truffle on top. Optionally slice some spring onion on top.
Tips on the black salsify and the duck breast
Before you peel and cut the black salsify, use some kitchen gloves. Black aslsify contains a liquid that can get qutie sticky on your skin, after a while it also colours black. To prevent this, peel and cut it with gloves. Right after this process, cook it immediately in water with vinegar, this stops the colouring process and the pieces are not sticky anymore after the heat treatment.
In case you struggle with the duck breast to make it pinkish, but not raw, see our “reverse steak” preparation, this also applies for the duck meat. Just make it reverse by putting it into the oven for one hours and at the end roast the crusty skin shortly on high heat in a pan. This makes it easier and you can avoid overcooking the duck.
Pasta Entenbrust Rezept
Pasta duck breast recipe
Pasta ankbröst recept
Pasta ankanrinta resepti